Regulatory action to protect children from consumer products that can cause injury, illness or death requires reporting. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) makes it easy for health care professionals to report an adverse event that relates to a consumer product. The CPSC used ingestion and injury reports to justify its 2014 ban on high-powered magnet sets. With the ban recently overturned, it is critically important that health care professionals continue to report magnet ingestions to the CPSC, as well as the ingestion of other consumer products, such as lithium button batteries, and their associated injuries. File reports at www.SaferProducts.gov.
See recent CBS news story on dangers of kids swallowing magnets